Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Day two at the company was a bit better..I walked in, filled up the
form for an ID badge..yes i have to carry one arnd my neck all the
time :(..got a temprary badge issued..howeever could not get a parking
sticker since i did not know my blood group..for some strange reason
for issuing the parking sticker the security wants to know my blood
group! Not a big deal though, I just parked my bike outside the
office.

Then i went up to my seat and soon found myself facing a monster, an
IBM machine, black colored, 21" flat screen monitor, 2GHz pentium 4,
1.2 Gigs of RAM an 80 GB 7200 HDD, with a a DVD drive. I enquired
later and got to know that the monitor costs 950$ and the whole
machine costs 2000$ :o Then i start working and find out that the damn
thing does not have a roller mouse..so i ask the sysad and he says
that no policy for getting me a new roller mouse :(( I ll have to buy
one on my own now..600 Rs it costs..just 12-14 $ dont know what the
fuss is all abt. Anyways i m still reasonably happy with my
workstation :)

Then I got a Lotus Notes ID. hmmm i need to learn new stuff now..need
to learn all the keyboard shortcuts and all..its a pain when you are
forced to re-learn all such sundry stuff like mail clients etc when
you would rather be spending your time learning abt the product you
are gonna be working on.

My current effort involves getting to know what the product is and
what is the philosophy abt the processes that it advocates, the
abstractions which have been developed etc. So going through all the
tutorials and some training videos.

No comments: